About Me

My photo
I wanted to thank everyone who was interested in my house construction. Despite how much I hate blogs this would be the easiest way for me to share the progress. No talk about me standing in line at Target or other stuff no one cares about. Just construction, Good and bad.

Monday, November 12, 2012

New Beams and old beams

Once the wall came down the steel beam quickly went in. Towards the end of last week they took out the temporary support and the house is still standing. They did a great job cutting out the masonry and keeping a clean edge for the portions that will remain exposed.








 
Unfortunately once we took more of the ceiling down we found a "header" that was previously supported by the partition we took down and a cracked beam.
 
 
Here is the cracked floor joist.

 
We had to sister in a new joist. The double 2x in at the top of the photo is to pick up that header that used to sit on the wall we took down.
 
 
You can see that old double 2x which supports a few floor joists that was put there to make room for all of the plumbing above. They also had to rework some of this piping so that it will not stick out of the ceiling. Unfortunately all of this is going to add to the cost of the project.
 
 
Unfortunately now that the ceiling is all open you can see all of the holes in the old floor joists from the plumbing. When I did the bathroom I tried to patch them as best I could. The house had been like that for 75 years with no major issues. Unfortunately the inspector probably won't care about that. Trying to figure out what to do about that... 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment