About Me

My photo
I wanted to thank everyone who was interested in my house construction. Despite how much I hate blogs this would be the easiest way for me to share the progress. No talk about me standing in line at Target or other stuff no one cares about. Just construction, Good and bad.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

More drywall, a new old door and a problem

Not a whole lot of progress over the Thanksgiving break. On Wednesday before they were able to install the rest of the drywall along with the first and second coats of Spackle. It is good to finally see things coming back together. This week I think they are going to start all of the built in shelves. Thursday, Friday and Saturday the floors will be done.





Erin making a lovely dinner in our "kitchen".


Today (with a lot of help from Jason. Seriously. Thank you again Jason) we were able to salvage the old door from the pantry to use as the door to the powder room. We had to build custom casing and shave the door down a bit but it fits perfectly.


 
The door just needs some sanding and a new coat of paint.



Lastly, I noticed something pretty scary while walking to our current "kitchen". One of the anchor bolts supporting the addition floor from 1980 was loose. The contractors at the time did a pretty crappy job attaching the anchor bolts. This is not the first time I saw this. In another area I had added two more the correct way. When you see decks collapse in the news every once in a while it is usually because of the bad attachments to the house.

I pulled the bolt out and it had completely sheared off. That means there was a lot of weigh on this one bolt to cause it to break in half. It doesn't look like the floor dropped at all, but I can't figure out what is even holding the floor up. The next bolts are about 30" away in either direction. I added a temporary support below and I'm goinig to have the contractors look at it tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment